The Hawthorn Award is a newly-established bursary funded by The Dartmoor Collective. It has the twin aims of promoting contemporary photography on Dartmoor and to assist final year photography students at Plymouth University in the development of their practice.
The 2021 award is now open to applications from third year students on the BA Photography course at Plymouth University. It is in the form of a bursary of £500 towards carrying out a photographic project within Dartmoor National Park. The subject matter, themes, and style of this body of work are entirely at the student’s discretion. The project can consist entirely of images, or can be a combination of images and the written word.
We hope that the landscape and life of Dartmoor, in all their fascinating multiplicity, will provoke new ways of seeing and that this opportunity will inspire a thought-provoking response to this creative challenge.
The selected recipient’s project will be published by The Dartmoor Collective in the form of a limited edition A5 photozine. The zine will be available for the general public to buy online and in selected stockists. You can read more about our other photozines here.
There may also be the opportunity to take part in an exhibition, either solo or as part of a group together with other Dartmoor photographers. This depends on several factors, so more will be known over the coming months.
We are keen to receive applications from groups who are under-represented within photography and the arts more broadly, and we therefore particularly encourage applications from individuals who identify themselves as such.
It is entirely up to the recipient what the bursary is spent on to enable their project to be realised, but we do ask that applicants submit a very brief outline of the expected budget as part of the application, along with the project proposal and selection of current work.
Ideally the successful recipient will take part in promotion of the bursary, their project and the photozine, and if relevant the exhibition, for example through social media, friends and colleagues, media features and interviews.
Please read the schedule and terms and conditions below carefully. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us before applying.
- Applications must be received by 5pm, Friday 7th May 2021.
- The selection process and interviews of shortlisted applicants will take place between 8th – 20th May.
- The successful recipient will be confirmed on Friday 21st May.
- Your project must be completed and submitted by Friday 3rd September.
- The photozine will be published by 1st October.
- If the exhibition takes place, the dates will be confirmed nearer the time.
Terms and Conditions
- Applicants must be currently enrolled as third year students on the BA Photography course at Plymouth University.
- Applications can only be accepted via the form below.
- The selection process will be undertaken by The Dartmoor Collective in collaboration with tutors and staff at Plymouth University.
- The successful recipient retains full copyright over their submitted work.
- The Dartmoor Collective retains the right to use the work in promotion and publicity of the bursary and the Collective, online and in print, and to supply images to the media.
- If your work features people, you must obtain signed model releases where required.
- By applying, you agree to these terms and conditions and the schedule above. The successful applicant will be asked to sign a contract agreeing to these terms.
Applications for the 2021 Hawthorn Award are now closed